Monday, April 11, 2011

A Couple of My Favorite Things

The coolest comic book cover thus far in 2011 belongs to Image Comics' new title Blue Estate. The first issue came out last week and should be available at your LCS (local comic shop).


I love old paperback pulp novels and Robert McGinnis and his ilk.  I'm sure I'll tackle that topic at greater length in the future, but right now...wow, what a sweet cover.  I've not read it and know little about the actual content, but a copy of this awaits at mine own LCS.

Likewise, I watch too much a lot of television, and my favorite title sequence currently on the air is FX's Archer, which is James Bond as an even more arrogant, petty dick than he is already.  The title sequence has a sweet retro throwback vibe and could work just as well for an actual dramatic thriller as it does for the the absurd silliness of Archer.  I miss title sequences, which have largely gone away due to an overabundance of commercials on broadcast television, and that extra 30-60 seconds are now needed to, you know, tell a story. Archer does it right: catchy, evocative theme; bold, eye-catching design, and hints toward the roles the lead characters inhabit. Neal Holman is Archer's art director and he nailed this one.



Untitled from Muffin MacGuffin on Vimeo.

This sequence is from season two, and they've happily upgraded Amber Nash to series regular.  In a sea of wonderfully bizarre and funny characters, Amber Nash's Pam and her endless appetites and curious street wisdom are a standout.  Her and the hand puppet in that sequence never fail to crack me up for reasons I can't even elucidate.  Probably because it's the one element in the entire sequence which says "This is a comedy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment