Thursday, September 19, 2013

Giving Them Wood: My 5th Anniversary Tribute to Salome Cabaret

Modern burlesque often features satire, irony, and sociopolitical subtext alongside the choreography, sequins, and disrobing. I've used humor when writing about burlesque in the past, but today I mainly want to be earnest.


I love Salome Cabaret.

If you don't know, Salome Cabaret is a burlesque troupe in my hometown of Knoxville, TN. The troupe is five years old and it celebrates its anniversary this Friday, September 20.  I hope to be at their show, but since I suspect I will be very late if I can attend at all, I wanted to take a few minutes to say some nice things about them.

Kisa Von Teasa
Siren Santina
Siren Santina & Kisa Von Teasa: My life is better than it was five years ago because you two decided to band together to take your clothes off to music onstage. I continue to be inspired and driven to pursue my own creativity because of what you do. You have assembled a fine troupe of men and women, and even the newest students who are making their way into the group have presented memorable routines that speak well to your tutelage and vision. You have assembled a management team (Hi, John and Dustin) and anointed an assured emcee (Hi, Big Gay James) who all keep things running smoothly and professionally so that your audience never sees the hiccups that inevitably happen backstage. You are among the smartest and most interesting people I know and I am insanely proud to call you, and so many people who perform with you, my friends. I could single out many of them with happy memories and alcohol-infused laughter, but I haven't the words to do them all justice. That they share the stage with you says enough.

Salome Cabaret's most recent official cast photo
Salome Cabaret is something special. Knoxville is relatively small, as cities go, but having seen some of the best burlesque dancers and troupes in the country, Salome ranks near the top of any "best" lists both objective and subjective. Between the powerful homegrown performers generating new routines every month to their frequent and inspiring guests to their visiting all-star headliners, a Salome show is frequently the highlight of any given week to those in the know. They take the ridiculous and make it sublime, all while making hearts beat faster.

Salome Cabaret at Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekend 2013
So thank you Beelzabetty, Tiger Tangerine, Delinda d'Rabbit, Cougar Cantrell, Rosey Lady, Nipsy Tussle, Duchess Dakini, Peppy Schlongstocking, Foxey Sarcasm, Lydia Thorne, Pan d'Orable, Bunny Wigglebottom, Beary ManA-Tease, Starry DeLight, Georgia Sweetjuggs, Honey Demure, Ivana Rocket, Passion Pillows, Theda Van der Koil, and stage kittens Meowy Wowee and Cunty Brewster. You are amazing in all the colors of the spectrum. Just like glitter.


Follow me on Twitter @TheOneWhoKnox

No comments:

Post a Comment