Saturday, September 14, 2013

Rise, Lazarus!

I don't write nearly enough about comic books, largely because I am often weeks or months behind on my reading, but some books I make a priority. I'm going to read them immediately, be it because of a trusted writer, a favorite artist, or a concept that intrigues me.

Sometime I get all of that stuff in one book, which is why Greg Rucka and Michael Lark's creator-owned opus Lazarus, published by Image Comics, has gone right to the top of the "to-read" pile.

Lazarus issue #1
I will admittedly buy almost anything Greg Rucka writes. He's a hell of a novelist, penning politically complex, socially-astute thrillers that still keeping the blood pumping, but he's also written Batman, Wonder Woman, The Question, and a variety of other super-heroes, and his takes on those characters have often been among the most creative and thoughtful iterations a reader could find. Artist Michael Lark, who previously collaborated with Rucka on the brilliant "Cops in Gotham City" comic Gotham Central, is a rare artist who can clearly tell a story peopled with characters who look distinct and real, make it visually appealing, and still have moments of POP when the story calls for it. They're something of a dream team, and I didn't even need to hear a premise to want to buy the book.

Lazarus issue #2
Lazarus happens in a near future when governments are all but extinct and power is held by families. These ultra-wealthy groups essentially control all the world's resources and employ a handful of people as the last vestiges of a middle class. Everyone else, well over 99% of the population, is considered "waste," to be ignored or kept down. Each family has a champion who is given every technological and biological advantage, making them exceptionally difficult to kill, and this enforcer is given the title of Lazarus. The Lazarus of the Family Carlyle is Forever, or Eve.

Lazarus issue #3
Eve begins the story as a loyal right arm for her family, but in the three issues of the comic that have been released, she is sensing that things aren't right, that there could be factions within her own family, and that even the people she likes and trusts may see her as little more than a means to an end. It is tough to review the beginnings of a book that will take years to complete, that has only hinted at its long-form potential, but I am thoroughly enjoying the elements that are in play: a legitimately strong female lead ("strong female character" can sadly often mean "unrealistically pneumatic woman who kills people and gets naked to illustrate her empowerment" in comic book parlance), a near-future dystopia that feels all-too gut-churningly possible, utterly credible forward-looking science fiction, and even hints of epic Shakespearean character interplay.

I will keep buying this book until the creators finish telling their story, and I will tell as many people as I can how enjoyable it is.

Now, one of the games fans play is the casting game, stoked in this case by the announcement that Ellen Page is in talks to topline Queen and Country as Tara Chace, one of Rucka's iconic creations.  Forever has the makings of another great character: tough, fair, moral, and conflicted. That said, as I've tossed this around in my head for the last couple of days, I simply cannot think of anyone else except Ivana Milicevic for the role in an extremely hypothetical Lazarus adaptation.  I continue to be blown away by the level of power, commitment, and nuance she shows in Banshee, particularly in the episode "We Shall Live Forever," where she both gives and takes one of the most epic beatdowns I've ever seen on a television screen. I certainly can't speak to any templates Michael Lark may have in his mind for Forever's creation, but when I read the comic every month, I'm going to see Forever looking something like this:

Ivana Milicevic, badass
Find me on Twitter: @TheOneWhoKnox

No comments:

Post a Comment